The Government is spending over £450 million to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils.
At Knowsley Lane we believe that sport and PE are extremely important to the physical health and emotional wellbeing of our children. We are dedicated to raising standards in PE and ensuring that more children are becoming more active and engaged in sports. We strongly feel that a fun, varied and competitive PE curriculum and extra-curricular sporting activities have a positive influence on all children and provides a great baseline for an active and healthy future.
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport. This funding is to be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of. This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
This year we were allocated £9045 to spend on improving our PE provision. We are using our sports funding to:
- Hire a specialist PE teacher (UK School Sports £3800, Everton In The Community £3570, Local Sports Network £1000 and Total Gymnastics £1170) to teach games alongside our staff, as a valuable staff training programme. Children are taught all the basic essential skills they need to be able to take part in competitive sports and games with a view to incorporating more of this competitive element next academic year.
- Encourage disengaged and inactive children to enjoy and take part in more PE and sports. Each week, our coach holds a fun sports club that selected under confident or disengaged children attend, and they play fun games in a safe and encouraging environment. This aims to reintroduce them to the fun elements of sport and ensure they are taking part in physical activity outside of PE lessons.
- Run internal and external sports competitions.
- We take part in Rise and Shine Dance Festival.
- Annual Rainbow Relay with all our families.
- Hold sports days across school.
- Run a wide range of sporting after school and lunchtime clubs.
Click the link below to see our Grant Summary: